Sunday, March 11, 2012

Story about Canning from daughter Sherry

"Canning was lots of work! The kids job were to pick and peel and cut. I remember cutting the fruit, usually peaches or pears, and having the juice run down my arm-- I hated that, as well as getting up out of bed to pick in the morning. I remember sitting out on the lawn shelling peas into a big bowl. Dad was very involved and enthusiastic in all of this. I remember picking the raspberries, peas and beans.

Mom and Dad would can:
Peaches
Pears
Apricots
Sweet cherries
Pie cherries
Raspberries
Peach preserves
Raspberry Jam
Strawberry Jam
Huckleberries
Currants
Choke cherry jam and syrup
Corn
Green beans
Tomato Juice
Tomato soup
Pickles
     Dill
     Mustard
     Bread and Butter pickles
     Pickled Beets

Our neighbor Hellen Rose said "If Rhea wouldn't run out of bottles Sterling would bring the weeds in for her to can."


No comments:

Post a Comment