Sunday, April 1, 2012

Butternut Squash Soup

From Grandma Rhea: In our stake, we had these recipes before the R. S. Broadcast from Salt Lake. I loved this soup. some women thought it was funny because it is thin. It would be better in a cup to drink. I made it and Dad and I loved it. I put quite a bit of dried rosemary in before blending. I said 'I'll never make it again', it was so hard to peel and cut the squash, but already I know I will, because I like it so much.

Butternut Squash Soup

Serves 6-8
Serve with Autumn Pear Salad

1 butternut squash, peeled and cubed (or roasted and scraped out says Sherry)
1 onion, cubed
3 stalks celery, cut into chunks
3 carrots, cut into chunks

Put all ingredients into a roasting pan. Drizzle with a little olive oil. Sprinkle with seasoning salt and thyme. Roast in 350 oven for 40 minutes or until easily pierced with fork. Heat 6 cups chicken broth in saucepan, adding the roasted vegetable. Using an emulsifier or blender, blend until smooth. Add 1 cup whipping cream and 1 sprig of fresh Rosemary. Warm through but do not boil.

*Additional seasonings can be added like curry, nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste. You could boil the vegetables in the broth if you didn't want to roast them.


No comments:

Post a Comment